Monday, July 31, 2006

On wolves and icecreams




Today we had (what I thought was) a brilliant idea of staging a little puppet show. We had all the characters: Little Red Riding Hood, the wolf, the grandma and even the hunter. Some enjoyed the show but others booed at LRRH for being so stupid and cheered the wolf for being funny and smart.

The volunteers are tired and really irritated by all the mess that the kids are doing around the school. They loose their temper and yell at the kids very often. I had another (what I thought was) a brilliant idea of discussing this issue with the volunteers. By the end of the "talk" my fellow volunteers were sure I came from lala land as the kids are too impolite to be treated differently. I'm all alone in this battle and I think I'm loosing.

But the star of today was Zainab (4) who thinks she's growing up. Zainab is from Maroun Ras and two days after the start of the attacks, he father woke up to her pacing her room and repeating: "I don’t want to die, I don’t want to die, I don’t want to die". A couple of hours later they fled to Beirut and settled at the school.

But today Zainab had a little "interview" with me: "Hello Zeina, what's your name? Now tell me, have you seen the news yesterday? There was a little boy my age and he lost his head and died. What do you think?". Truth is I froze and didn’t know what to say or do. I told her that I don’t know what she means. But she too thought I came from lala land for not hearing the news from Qana. I took Zainab aside and told her that she's safe here and that her mom, brother and sister are all here and taking care of her. But she looks at me and says: "But my father is still in Maroun Ras".


A little confession: I committed a small act of corruption. I took Zainab and her brother Hussein secretely to an ice cream shop nearby. I made them promise not to tell the other kids who got them ice cream because there would be riots around the school. Back to the school, one of the kids asks her where she got her ice cream from she looks at him with her big eyes and golden locks and says: "You'll never believe what happened! I was walking on the sidewalk; I put my hand in my pocket and guess what? I found an ice cream!"


"Zainab, her friends and the puppets"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is heart-breaking.

August 01, 2006 2:24 am  
Blogger Lazarus said...

i agree with anon.

August 01, 2006 6:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So her dad's a terrorist and you feel sorry for her ?

August 02, 2006 4:24 am  
Blogger zeina h. said...

Her "terrorist father" is fighting in Maroun Ras. Last time I checked it was a lebanese village on Lebanese territory. The question becomes: what are the israeli terrorists doing in Maroun Ras? In fact, what are they doing in Qana, Marwahin, Tyre? And while you're at it, what are they doing in Baalbeck 100 KM away from the Israeli border.

August 02, 2006 8:43 am  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Dear anonymous,
This is exactly the moment when you loose your humanity: It is when you dehumanise a traumatised child because you think her father is a "terrorist"!
Speaking of "terrorism",
for your information, here is what the dictionary has to say about it:

1. a state of intense fear
2. a cause of anxiety
3. violent or destructive acts (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands.
Does this ring a bell? Or need I remind you of
- the infrastructure destroyed all over Lebanon?
- Entire villages demolished on top of the heads of extended families?
- 750,000 innocent people displaced?
- 828 "casualties"
- and an uncountable number of terrorised people like this "terrorsit" daughter???

August 02, 2006 2:41 pm  
Anonymous Raj said...

Hey "Ziononymous",
Are you really so disgusting or is it those pills uncle olmert gave you before sending you here?
shoo!

August 02, 2006 4:03 pm  
Blogger Maya said...

Hey anonymous…

Are they/ you breeding a hybrid race in Israel of emotionally handicapped people and monsters??? No wonder the Zionist offspring writes on the rockets: “From the children of Israel to the children of Lebanon”. Thank you we have received the message so the “terrorists fathers” are sending you the replies…

August 03, 2006 10:36 am  
Anonymous Peppe said...

Zeina, just to tell you that though so far (i'm from Italy) i read leb blogs like yours which express so good the deep soul of Lebanese people which we fall in love for.
We're proud of those like you and count to come soon to help Lebanon to re-start.
Ciao

August 04, 2006 2:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home