Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Israeli Voices




BBC News Website ran today - 1.08.2006 - a photo essay with Israelis reflecting their views on the 'Lebanon Offensive'. Among the taxi-driver, secretary, student etc.. not a single person questioned the strategy of the Israeli government and its Army and the killing of more than 800 civilians. This is very alarming as the Israeli society has been brain-washed with the rhetoric of terrorism to justify the destruction of a nation and the killing of its people.

During the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon, Dr Shlomo Shmelzman, a survivor of the Holocaust told the press in Israel announcing his hunger strike at the height of the bombing of West Beirut: 'I hear too many familiar sounds today, sounds which are being amplified by the war. I hear “dirty Arabs” and I remember “dirty Jews”. I hear about “closed areas” and I remember ghettos and camps. I hear “two-legged beasts” and I remember "Untermenschen” (subhumans). I hear about tightening the siege, clearing the area, pounding the city into submission and I remember suffering, destruction, death, blood and murder ... Too many things in Israel remind me of too many things from my childhood.'

In 2006, no one dares to speak-up. Anyone there?


Moshe, religious student
"I don’t care about the Lebanese because they don’t care about us."
Photo and quote copied from: bbc.co.uk

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ngaio Abrahamson said...

I'm not an Israeli, but my grandfather was a Jewish refugee from Nazi Germany. I'm horrified by the actions of Israel, which do remind me of the actions of the Nazis against the Jews. Peace to your region and the world.

August 02, 2006 8:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Israel has turned into a totalitarian religious fundamentalist state? Since when this situation?
Schizophrenia?
Peace to you as well

August 02, 2006 4:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home