Thursday, August 03, 2006

sliding the day away




L. and I couldn’t wait to see the reaction on the kids' faces when we walked in with the huge sliding board and the small swing. A Lebanese friend of Y.'s who works in the Emirates wanted to donate money that would go directly to the kids and not to be spent on food and medicine which seem to be quite available. So we thought that the kids would want to invest in a swing and a sliding board. The kids couldn't believe their eyes: "Can we keep them for the night?"

But the school seemed empty. Most of the kids weren’t there as they were taken to a nearby basketball court and restaurant. Zahra, AKA "Miss Gypsum", was alone today with her broken arm and shaven head. Her parents sent her sister Fatme (8) and brother Ibrahim (9) to Maqassed which is a full board institution for underprivileged children. "I feel devastated every time I send them away, but I'm exhausted and don’t feel I can take care of them anymore".

Hadi's face (3) was scratched and he was bleeding. His twin sister's Sarah, the rabbit killer, attacked him this morning. He doesn't speak much and he didn’t seem mad at her when I saw him. "I think I need to see a doctor" he says, "but no one wants to take me". Miss Gypsum looks at her mother crying as she slides on the board. "She looks fine" her mother says "but I know she misses them so much".

1 Comments:

Blogger Edward Ott said...

I pray for the safety of the people of lebanon and for a quick end to this war.

August 04, 2006 1:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home